Comprehensive Pulmonary Hypertension Program
Evaluating and treating pulmonary hypertension (PH) — a rare and potentially fatal heart and lung disease — can be very difficult.
UPMC’s Comprehensive Pulmonary Hypertension Program, a joint program of the Division of Cardiology and the Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine is one of a few centers in the United States to offer highly specialized, comprehensive, state-of-the-art diagnosis and treatment of this complex disease.
Our specialists in cardiology, pulmonary and critical care medicine, and transplant medicine work together from the time of initial evaluation, which can normally take place on a single day and in one location.
We diagnose and treat all forms of pulmonary hypertension, including:
- Idiopathic PH
- Familial PH
- Underlying rheumatologic, cardiac, hepatic, or pulmonary disease
Our Services and Treatments
The Pulmonary Hypertension Program is closely associated with the Pittsburgh chapter of the Pulmonary Hypertension Association.
Patient support group meetings are held each spring and fall. These meetings provide a forum for patients to:discuss updated PH medical information including:
- Current and new treatments
- Research initiatives at UPMC
- Dietary and activity restrictions
- Stress management
- Coping with the disability associated with the disease.
What distinguishes our program?
- Our expert staff are leaders in the diagnosis and evaluation of PH and other heart and lung diseases.
- A multidisciplinary team of pulmonologists, cardiologists, palliative care physicians, specialty nurses, physical therapists, and other specialists works together to tailor optimal treatment plans.
- Promising new therapies and technologies through clinical trials and cutting-edge research conducted by UPMC cardiologists and pulmonologists. Our experts also are pioneering studies to better understand and treat PH.
- One of the largest and most experienced lung and heart-lung transplant programs in the United States, for those who do not respond to medical therapy. Our teams have had success performing transplants — even on candidates who have been turned down by other medical institutions. Learn more about UPMC's lung and heart-lung transplant program.
For more information about UPMC's Comprehensive Pulmonary Hypertension Program, or to make an appointment:
- Phone: 1-877-PH4-UPMC (744-8762)
- Email: PHprogram@upmc.edu
- Office locations:
UPMC Comprehensive Pulmonary Hypertension Program
5B Outpatient Cardiology Center
200 Lothrop St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Comprehensive Lung Center
3601 Fifth Ave., 4th Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15213