Using Crutches: Sitting and Standing
It may take you some time to get used to using crutches. Many simple actions are more difficult with crutches. Below are tips for safely sitting down and standing up with crutches.
- With your crutches, back up to the chair or bed until you feel it behind your knees. Take the crutches from under your arms. Put them together, and hold onto both hand grips with one hand.
- Reach back for the chair or bed with your free hand (see figure 1).
- Slowly lower yourself onto the chair or bed (see figure 2).
- Hold the hand grips of both crutches in one hand.
- Push off from the chair or bed with one hand, with the crutches in your other hand (see picture at right).
- Stand, and then check your balance.
- Place the crutches under your arms, and press them to your sides.
Note: Your therapist may show you different ways to sit down and stand up depending on your situation. Follow the instructions you are given.