A world-renowned health care provider and insurer, Pittsburgh-based UPMC is inventing new models of accountable, cost-effective, patient-centered care. It provides more than $888 million a year in benefits to its communities, including more care to the region’s most vulnerable citizens than any other health care institution.
As Pennsylvania’s largest nongovernmental employer, with more than 60,000 employees, UPMC is comprised of:
- More than 20 hospitals
- More than 500 doctors' offices and outpatient sites
- An international division
- An enterprises division
A passion for innovation lies at the heart of UPMC’s success. UPMC’s unique strategy of combining clinical and research excellence with business-like discipline translates into high-quality patient care for both western Pennsylvanians and the global community.
UPMC is organized into four major operating units:
- Provider Services, which includes a comprehensive array of tertiary, community, and regional hospitals; specialty service lines, such as transplantation, women's health, behavioral health, pediatrics, UPMC Cancer Centers, and rehabilitation; in-home care and retirement living options; contract services, including pharmacy and clinical laboratories; and nearly 3,400 employed physicians and associated practices.
- Insurance Services, which offers health insurance to companies and their employees, as well as recipients of government programs such as Medicare and Medical Assistance; integrated workers' compensation and disability services; and coverage for behavioral health services to Medical Assistance beneficiaries in 35 Pennsylvania counties.
- UPMC International, which exports UPMC's medical expertise and management know-how internationally.
- UPMC Enterprises, which pursues commercialization opportunities and develops strategic partnerships with industry leaders.
Closely affiliated with, the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC continues to successfully develop internationally renowned programs in:
By leveraging our clinical and technological expertise to create breakthrough products and services, UPMC is taking a leadership role in transforming the economy of the region by:
- Pioneering new information technology applications to link and integrate electronic medical records across multiple hospitals and care settings
- Nurturing the creation of new companies
- Developing strategic business relationships with some of the world’s leading corporations
- Expanding clinical services and state-of-the art medical expertise into international markets, including Italy, Ireland, China and Japan
- Leading research initiatives in a variety of new fields, such as regenerative medicine and biosecurity
- Contributing $887million in Fiscal 2013 to charitable organizations and community-based health improvement programs
By creating new jobs, new businesses, and new models for health care delivery and community support, UPMC’s Life Changing Medicine is changing the medical world, as well as the whole wide world.