UPMC Facts & Stats
UPMC is a $10 billion integrated global health enterprise headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Committed to developing and delivering Life Changing Medicine, it is one of the leading health systems in the United States.
- UPMC is a nonprofit that melds an unwavering community mission with entrepreneurial business models. UPMC is the first nonprofit health system to fully adopt Sarbanes-Oxley.
- UPMC is Pennsylvania’s largest employer, with more than 55,000 employees.
- A recognized innovator in information technology, UPMC has deployed an electronic health record across its hospitals and is developing a semantic interoperability solution to unify information from multiple systems. These capabilities, which are being developed in collaboration with industry leaders like Cerner, GE, and IBM, will result in products that are commercialized nationally and abroad.
UPMC operates more than 20 academic, community, and specialty hospitals and 400 outpatient sites, employs more than 3,200 physicians, and offers an array of rehabilitation, retirement, and long-term care facilities.
- UPMC has created a genuinely integrated health delivery system. With renowned centers of excellence in transplantation, cancer, neurosurgery, psychiatry, rehabilitation, geriatrics, and women’s health, it currently is ranked No. 10 in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll of America’s Best Hospitals – with 15 adult specialties ranked. UPMC is No. 1 in Pennsylvania and No. 1 in Pittsburgh.
- UPMC’s facilities are among the most technologically advanced in the nation. Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is one of only a handful of “paperless” hospitals in existence and has achieved HIMSS Stage 7 — the highest level — in electronic health record implementation; 11 other UPMC hospitals are at Stage 6.
UPMC’s Insurance Services Division has grown to more than 1.8 million members in just over a decade. UPMC is a proven integrated delivery and health finance system — the first of its kind in western Pennsylvania — and the Insurance Services Division (ISD) is leading the way with innovative health plans for virtually all segments of society that deliver better quality and lower costs.
- ISD provides health plans to employers and their employees and dependents, to individual members, as well as to those eligible for Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- ISD offers workers’ compensation, disability management, and leave management services, as well as some of the most comprehensive health improvement, wellness, and workplace productivity programs anywhere in the United States. It is also the largest behavioral health insurance provider in Pennsylvania, and operates two software development companies focused on helping health care providers and employers with efficient care and employee benefits.
Through its International and Commercial Services Division, UPMC has launched a portfolio of new businesses and international ventures.
- UPMC is commercializing its expertise, bringing world-class health care, advanced technologies, and management skills to markets throughout the world through clinical services management, infrastructure consultation, strategic and commercial product development partnerships, translational sciences, and national security and public health. Each component is designed to drive transformation of health care delivery worldwide.
- Internationally, UPMC operates a hospital specializing in transplant in Italy, and two cancer centers and a hospital in Ireland; has provided information technology solutions in the United Kingdom; will manage a biomedical research center in Italy; and is providing ongoing clinical teaching and training in family medicine at a 1,265-bed teaching hospital in Japan. UPMC also is partnering with KingMed Diagnostics, the largest independent medical diagnostic laboratory in China, to provide remote, second-opinion pathology consultations from Pittsburgh. The partnership also is helping to plan a national cancer treatment and research center in Kazakhstan and a comprehensive transplant center in Singapore.
UPMC is committed to giving back and reinvesting in the community.
- In the most recent fiscal year, UPMC’s community contributions topped $565 million and represented more than 10 percent of net patient revenue.
- UPMC maintains its $100 million commitment to the Pittsburgh Promise to fund postsecondary education for Pittsburgh’s high school graduates.
UPMC is closely affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh, which has ranked among the top 10 recipients of National Institutes of Health research funding since 1997.