UPMC Is a Proud Sponsor of the WalkPittsburgh Initiative
UPMC is proud to be a presenting sponsor of the WalkPittsburgh initiative. WalkPittsburgh is a new initiative to help make Pittsburgh one of “America’s Most Walkable Cities.”
This newly formed program is a joint endeavor among the Oakland Transportation Management Association, the Airport Corridor Transportation Association, and the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership.
WalkPittsburgh’s mission and values are to support and encourage walking as a viable commuting option, improve pedestrian safety, communicate the health and economic benefits of walking, and ensure that walkability is factored into transportation and development plans.
UPMC’s role as a community partner is to communicate the many health benefits of walking, in addition to furthering WalkPittsburgh’s mission of encouraging walking as a viable commuting option, improving pedestrian safety, and communicating the economic benefits of walking.
Benefits of Walking
Walking is an easy way to get exercise that nearly everyone can do. You don’t need any special equipment, and it’s a lot easier to get some extra exercise during the day than you think. The benefits to your health and wellness can be greatly increased by regular exercise, including walking.
- Walking promotes cardiovascular health.
- It’s a good way to help manage your weight.
- Increases the rate at which you burn calories (metabolism).
- Increases your energy level.
- Improves your sleep.
- Prevents the loss of muscle mass during weight reduction.
- Reduces your risk of certain chronic diseases (cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes).
- Improves your bone density.
- Improves your self-esteem and sense of control.
Get some extra steps in during your day with these simple tips:
- Walk to the mailbox or corner store.
- Take a break from the computer every hour while at work. Get up and take a walk around the office.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park your car a little farther away and walk the extra distance.
- Get off the bus a stop or two early and walk the rest of the way.
- Take a walk during your lunch break.