UPMC Sports Medicine calls the UPMC Sports Performance Complex home. This one-of-a-kind facility brings together the University of Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and our academically based sports medicine program in one location.
Situated on 40 acres along the Monongahela River in Pittsburgh’s South Side, the UPMC Sports Performance Complex features four state-of-the-art facilities:
Center for Sports Medicine
At the heart of the complex is the Center for Sports Medicine, a part of UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, and one of the leading sports medicine facilities in the United States. This state-of-the-art facility is on the cutting edge of research and treatment, and features:
- 34 large examination rooms
- Large bore MRI technology
- Full-sized therapeutic pool
- UPMC-developed digital radiology workstations that provide high-precision x-ray and MRI displays, once found only in operating rooms and radiology departments, in every
- A training and rehabilitation gym with extensive circuit machines, free weights, and isokinetic and aerobic equipment
- A Neuromuscular Research Laboratory, designed to study injury prevention and treatment with the goal of enhancing the clinical practice of sports medicine, as well as assessing human movement for an athlete’s performance enhancement protocol
- Plyometric training floor to help recovering athletes regain power and restore quick movement capabilities
- Specialized equipment and training area to simulate an athlete’s performance requirements
- Specialized performance training center
Indoor Training Center
The UPMC Indoor Training Center features a quarter-mile four-lane running track and full-size practice football field. The climate-controlled facility allows the Pittsburgh Steelers and University of Pittsburgh Panthers football teams to practice during bad weather. The center also is home to many sport-specific camps and clinics through the UPMC Sports Performance program.
Sports Training Center
The Sports Training Center is the ideal setting for athletic training, physical training, and team management. The center houses two side-by-side facilities that offer a complete complex for administration, training, and press communications. The Sports Training Center’s four 80-yard outdoor fields with observation towers allow coaching staffs to clearly analyze and improve on-field performance. Other features of the sports training facilities include team meeting and film viewing rooms, fully outfitted weight training rooms, hydrotherapy facilities, including whirlpools and an aquatic trainer, and spacious state-of-the-art locker rooms.