What to Bring: A Packing Checklist for Inpatient Rehabilitation
During your stay in rehabilitation, you will get up and get dressed for therapy every day. To be prepared, you will need an assortment of comfortable, loose-fitting clothes, as well as other personal items.
Be sure to review this checklist to ensure that you have all of the necessary items for your stay. Please also note that your family will be responsible for your personal laundry.
- Soft-soled shoes or athletic shoes with nonskid soles. Backless shoes are not allowed.
- Several sets of comfortable athletic clothing, including:
- Sweatpants or stretch pants
- Shorts, if you have had leg surgery
- Typical clothing that you would wear at home — such as shirts with buttons — so you can practice getting dressed.
- Pajamas, a robe, and slippers with tread or traction
- Your personal hygiene products
- Hairbrush or comb
- Shampoo and other hair care products
- Denture adhesive and cleaner, if applicable
- Note: Many units have items such as toothbrushes and toothpaste available for your use
Other Items to Bring
- Dentures, hearing aids, and/or glasses
- Splints, braces, or orthotics, and customized equipment — such as a wheelchair — that you are using at home
- Any assistive devices you own, such as a cane or walker
- The name and phone number of your primary care physician
- A list of any medicines you currently take
- Any prescription plan identification cards
- A living will or advance directives, if applicable
- Note: We can provide you with these resources if needed
Items to Consider Bringing
- Activities for your “off time,” such as books, magazines, cards, etc.
- A small amount of cash ($5 or less)
- The phone numbers of relatives and friends, including the numbers for your emergency contacts
- A small pad of paper and a pen
- A laptop computer so you can use the free wireless Internet service
What NOT to bring
- Perfumes, colognes, or scented lotions, due to allergies of other patients and staff
- Large amounts of cash
- Please note that all UPMC facilities are smoke-free and smoking is not permitted
If you have any questions as you prepare for your rehabilitation stay, be sure to ask your doctor or nurse, or contact the UPMC Rehabilitation Institute at 1-877-AT-REHAB (1-877-287-3422).