Flutamide (Generic Name)
Other Names: Eulexin®
About This Drug
Flutamide is a drug that blocks the action of testosterone on the prostate gland. This drug is given orally.
Possible Side Effects
- Hot flashes
- Diarrhea that may last for several days
- Breast enlargement
- Pain at the breast nipple
- Decreased appetite
- Changes in liver enzymes. Liver enzymes will be monitored as needed.
- Abdominal discomfort; rectal gas
- Sexual dysfunction
- Sensitivity to light (photosensitivity). Photosensitivity means that you may become more sensitive to the effects of the sun, sun lamps, and tanning beds. Your eyes may water more, especially in bright light.
Treating Side Effects
- Cover up when you are out in the sun. Wear wide-brimmed hats, long-sleeved shirts, and pants. Keep your neck, chest, and back covered.
- Use sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher when you are out in the sun even for a short time.
- Avoid sun lamps, tanning booths, and tanning beds.
Food and Drug Interactions
There are no known interactions of flutamide and any food. This drug may interact with other medications. Tell your doctor and pharmacist all the medications that you are currently taking.
When to Call the Doctor
Call your doctor or nurse as soon as possible if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Diarrhea of five to six stools in one day or diarrhea with weakness or lightheadedness
- Decreased sexual function
- Bothersome pain at the breast nipple
- Persistent abdominal discomfort or rectal gas
- Persistent loss of appetite
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes