UPMC/University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences
UPMC Media Relations provides patient conditions to members of the media only as allowed by federal and state privacy laws.
UPMC may, at its discretion, release general information in response to a media request, provided that the media are able to provide the complete patient name. However, no information will be provided if the patient has requested that UPMC not provide information, has opted out of the hospital directory, or if the patient is a psychiatric patient or a victim of violent crime. Absent specific written authorization from the patient, UPMC will release only a one-word condition (see definitions below).
Contact Information for Media Members
Members of the media inquiring about patient conditions:
- Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., should call 412-647-3555.
- On evenings and weekends for patients at UPMC Presbyterian, should call 412-647-2345 and ask the operator to page the administrator on duty (AOD).
- For patients at UPMC Mercy, should call 412-232-8111 and ask the operator to page the AOD.
- For patients at Children’s Hospital, should call 412-692-5325 and ask the operator to page the AOD.
Definitions of Patient Conditions
Conditions are defined as follows:
- Excellent or good prognosis
- Vital signs are stable and within normal limits
- Favorable prognosis
- Vital signs are reasonable, stable, and within normal limits
- Acutely ill
- Vital signs may be unstable and/or within normal limits
- Acutely ill with questionable prognosis
- Vital signs are unstable and/or not within normal limits
- Major complications