Visitor Information at UPMC Presbyterian
Family and friends are very important to the healing process. To make it easier for them to be involved in the patient's care, visiting hours on the medical-surgical units are not limited to any specific time frame. Please talk with the patient's nurse to coordinate appropriate times. General visiting hours are 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
The Intensive Care Units offer a flexible visitation policy. However, family and friends are discouraged from visiting during shift changes (6:30 to 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.); during the hospital's "quiet time," which is 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; and after 9 p.m. when general visiting hours end. Call the main unit number if you want to visit around the clock or during the restricted times.
Children Under 12
- Children under the age of 12 are discouraged from visiting. It is best that children not be exposed to infection.
- All children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. This rule applies in all rooms, lobbies, corridors, public restrooms, and the cafeteria.
What to Bring/ What Not to Bring
- Flowers are permitted in patient rooms, excluding the Intensive Care Unit.
- Latex balloons are not permitted. Mylar balloons are OK.
- Please check with the nurse before offering a patient anything to eat or drink.
To Prevent Infection
- People who are coughing, sneezing, or ill must not visit.
- Visitors are asked to cover coughs or sneezes with their arm.
- All visitors should wash their hands upon entering and leaving patient rooms.
- When isolation is called for, visitors must take all isolation precautions as the physician or nurse directs.
- Please do not use patient restrooms unless the patient is assigned a private room and gives consent.
Sometimes We Must Ask Visitors to Leave
Visitors may be required to leave the patient’s room if:
- The patient is being examined by a doctor or nurse
- The patient’s condition has changed so that he or she needs to be seen by a doctor or nurse
- The patient or clinician has asked to be left alone