Endovascular and Vascular Therapy
Advanced Interventional and Surgical Treatments
As part of the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute at UPMC Passavant, board-certified vascular surgeons provide comprehensive, state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic interventions for the entire spectrum of circulatory disorders.
Vascular surgeons treat patients who have peripheral vascular disease – when arteries throughout the body are blocked - which can cause:
- Leg pain
If the blocked arteries in the leg are too advanced, a person’s leg can be threatened.
Vascular surgeons also treat vein disorders, including:
- Varicose veins
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- Thrombophlebitis - a blood clot that causes inflammation of a vein, usually in the leg
They also provide aggressive wound care and treatment for thoracic outlet syndrome, a group of disorders that affect nerves and blood vessels in the area between the base of the neck and the armpit.
Vascular Interventional Laboratory and Vascular Surgical Service
UPMC Passavant’s Vascular Interventional Laboratory and Vascular Surgical Service host a range of state-of-the-art procedures such as:
- Aortic dissections
- Surgery to treat aortic aneurysms and peripheral occlusive arterial disease
- Direct surgical repair of all major arteries in the body
Advanced and minimally invasive options often are used as well, including:
- Endovascular repair of aortic and thoracic aneurysms
- Percutaneous angioplasty and stenting to treat peripheral arterial disease
- Carotid artery stenting
- Acute treatment for arterial and venous thrombosis