Better Breathing Clinic
Are you having trouble managing your chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)? The Better Breathing Clinic at UPMC Northwest can help.
We offer free monthly classes on the following topics:
- Anatomy and physiology of the lung
- Medications and inhalers used to treat COPD
- Exercise and COPD
- Anxiety and depression
- Dietary needs of people with COPD
- Behavioral changes
- My COPD plan (see box to the right)
The Better Breathing Clinic also provides a level of personal support from patient to patient and family to family. The classroom environment enables patients and family members to talk with each other and share experiences.
Reducing Readmissions of COPD Patients
The Better Breathing Clinic was introduced as part of UPMC Northwest's overall effort to reduce readmissions for COPD patients. Doctors at the hospital also identified several ways to decrease the number of readmissions by studying the habits of COPD patients after they left the hospital.
- Flu and pneumonia vaccinations
- Obtaining a spirometry measurement
- Measuring alpha-1 antitrypsin levels
- Testing pulse oximetry with exercise
- Educating patients about the proper use of COPD medications and inhalers
For more information about the Better Breathing Clinic at UPMC Northwest, call 814-676-7927.