Before Your Stay at UPMC Northwest
Several parking lots are maintained for visitors and patients.
If you are coming to the hospital for an inpatient stay, please report to the Emergency Department and bring your insurance card and claim forms if they are necessary. If you are admitted under an emergency, a designed friend or relative may be asked to provide the necessary information.
Same Day Surgery
The Same Day Surgery Unit provides surgical and diagnostic procedures on an out-patient or ambulatory basis. Same Day Services/Short Procedure Unit patients are admitted as outpatients to UPMC Northwest, have surgery or other special procedures, and are discharged on the same day.
You may be requested to complete laboratory studies or other test in preparation. Your doctor will let you know when you should get any tests done and any special instructions that you will need to follow.
Preparing for the hospital
If you are scheduled for Same Day Surgery, all patients should report to the appropriate registration location in the hospital on the day of the procedure.
Reminders for Same Day Surgery patients:
- Wear loose-fitting clothes that can be easily folded. A patient gown will be provided to you.
- Do not wear makeup, nail polish, or jewelry.
- Do not bring valuables with you.
- Bring a list of medications, or if requested, bring the medications that you take regularly with you.
- Bring a lens case if you wear contact lenses.
- Bring a copy of your Advance Directive or Living Will (if you have one) to the hospital
- Follow any instructions regarding food, drink, and medication, as it may be important for the administration of anesthesia.