UPMC Stroke Institute at UPMC McKeesport
Stroke is the fourth-leading cause of death and the leading cause of serious, long-term disability in the United States. A stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of your brain is interrupted or severely reduced, depriving brain tissue of oxygen.
For every hour's delay in medical treatment, the brain loses 120 million cells. Stroke victims need to be treated promptly to minimize brain damage and potential complications. It is imperative that a person seek immediate medical treatment at the first sign of stroke by calling 911.
Symptoms of Stroke Include:
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, or trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
Why Choose the UPMC McKeesport Stroke Program?
UPMC McKeesport is an Advanced Primary Stroke Center certified by The Joint Commission. As a certified Stroke Center, UPMC McKeesport has proved that it meets the standards for prompt stroke patient care. Our program offers stroke patients the following benefits:
- An acute stroke team available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including physicians and nurses experienced in diagnosing and treating cerebrovascular disease
- Written protocols to streamline and accelerate the diagnosis and treatment of stroke patients
- Coordination of EMS personnel with Emergency Department staff
- Inpatient rehabilitation services for physical, occupational, and speech therapies
- An outcome and quality improvement program
- Education program for the professional staff
- Patient and family education on stroke recovery
UPMC McKeesport also has received the Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award from the American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association (ASA). This award recognizes UPMC McKeesport’s commitment and success in implementing excellent care for stroke patients, according to evidence-based guidelines.
UPMC Stroke Telemedicine Program
Physicians at UPMC McKeesport have 24-hour-a-day access to specialists at the UPMC Stroke Institute in Pittsburgh in order to bring a higher level of stroke treatment and care to our patients.
Our Multidisciplinary Team
At UPMC McKeesport, specialists in emergency medicine, vascular neurology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, and other subspecialties work together to diagnose and determine the most appropriate stroke treatment.
Our team of experts uses advance therapies to treat stroke, with the goal of restoring cognitive and physical function.
Learn More About Strokes
Visit the UPMC Stroke Institute website to learn more about the causes, risk factors, and warning signs of strokes.
UPMC Patient Education Materials