Same Day Surgery at UPMC McKeesport
The Same Day Surgery Unit provides surgical and diagnostic procedures on an outpatient or ambulatory basis. Same Day Services/Short Procedure Unit patients are admitted as outpatients to UPMC McKeesport, have surgery or other special procedures, and are discharged on the same day.
You may be requested to complete laboratory studies or other tests in preparation for your procedure. Your doctor will let you know when you should get any tests done and any special instructions that you will need to follow.
Preparing for the Hospital
If you are scheduled for Same Day Surgery and are already preregistered, you should report to the 6th floor of the Mansfield Building on the day of the procedure.
Reminders for Same Day Surgery Patients:
- Wear loose-fitting clothes that can be easily folded; a patient gown will be provided to you.
- Do not wear makeup, nail polish, or jewelry.
- Do not bring valuables with you.
- Bring a list of medications, or if requested, bring the medications that you take regularly with you.
- Bring a lens case if you wear contact lenses.
- Bring a copy of your Advance Directive or Living Will (if you have one).
- Follow any instructions regarding food, drink, and medication, as it may be important for the administration of anesthesia.