Dermatology Telemedicine Services
For patients located outside of Pittsburgh who are in need of dermatological care, UPMC's Teledermatology Program brings world-class physicians to their neighborhoods.
- Remote medical care for complicated dermatology cases
- Inpatient and emergency consults for hospitals without dermatology coverage
- Timely transmission of images and clinical information
- Educational opportunities for residents and fellows
How Teledermatology Works
Using store and forward technology, a provider at the patient’s location:
- Gathers the patient’s health history and physical information
- Takes digital pictures of the site in question
- Electronically transmits the health information and images to a UPMC dermatologist in Pittsburgh
The dermatologist at UPMC:
- Reviews the patient’s history and physical information
- Analyzes and examines the images
- Provides feedback to the local provider, either by e-mail or telephone
Because the store and forward method of telemedicine uses less costly equipment, it greatly reduces costs to local health care providers.
The UPMC Teledermatology Program currently provides teleservices on an inpatient basis at UPMC Mercy and UPMC Northwest, UPMC’s Urgent Care Centers, and outpatient locations.
Teledermatology Educational Opportunities
In addition to offering clinical teleservices, the UPMC Department of Dermatology uses telehealth technology to provide educational consultations for dermatology residents at UPMC Presbyterian.
We also offer a teledermatology fellowship.
Check out these telemedicine news stories that mention teledermatology: