Our Commercial Partners
UPMC actively invests in projects with partners to transfer technologies and address specific health care needs.
Supply Chain Management and the International and Commercial Services Division (ICSD) develop and nurture these partnerships throughout western Pennsylvania, the United States, and the world.
UPMC Supply Chain Management is responsible for all purchasing and procurement activities and:
- Builds relationships with suppliers to provide an uninterrupted flow of products and services at the best possible value.
- Analyzes price, quality, and service of all potential products for use throughout the health system.
- Negotiates and manages contracts with vendors.
ICSD creates new revenue streams, both domestically and internationally, by:
- Exporting medical expertise and clinical management know-how.
- Pursuing commercial opportunities for UPMC's health care services and products.
- Developing strategic partnerships with health care and technology industry leaders.
Our Health Care and Technology Partnerships
UPMC Technology Development Center
The Technology Development Center (TDC) extends UPMC’s unique blend of health care intelligence, technology expertise, and entrepreneurial drive to build collaborative opportunities with its commercial and academic partners.
- Analyzes new and existing technology investment opportunities.
- Creates the next generation of health care IT products.
- Strives to find solutions for health care’s biggest challenge of aggregating and translating an abundance of data into knowledge.
Procirca brings state-of-the-art technologies and therapies to market, while delivering patient centered, quality focused care to our partners.
Procirca offers unsurpassed expertise in the following clinical services:
- Perfusion and perioperative blood management.
- Biologic therapies including: platelet gel, bone marrow aspirate concentrate, autologous conditioned plasma and fibrin glue.
- Mechanical circulatory support (MCS).
- Intraoperative neuromonitoring (IOM).
- Clinical engineering services for maintaining patient related medical devices.
International Ventures and UPMC Global Care
Hospitals and Technology Projects Abroad
Some of UPMC's international ventures include:
- ISMETT, a transplant and specialty surgery hospital and associated research institute in Palermo, Italy.
- UPMC Whitfield Cancer Centre in Ireland
- Electronic health record implementation projects in the United Kingdom.
UPMC Global Care
To effectively extend our reach and address demand from patients living in countries where high-quality care is not readily available, we launched the UPMC Global Care program.
UPMC Global Care streamlines the contact between referring physicians and foreign embassies by:
- Simplifying communications.
- Facilitating the exchange of important information.
- Minimizing administrative red tape.