Applying for Financial Assistance
We’re Ready to Help
If you cannot afford to pay your hospital or doctor bill, we are ready to help. UPMC’s Financial Assistance Program may be able to assist with expenses for medical care, including UPMC hospital and physician services.
You can fill out a single UPMC Financial Assistance Application form (formulario de Solicitud de Asistencia Financiera) for any of these services.
Based on your financial need, either reduced payments or free care may be available for these services. UPMC staff will determine if you are eligible for free or discounted health care services by looking at your income and family size. We also may help you set up a payment plan for your UPMC bills. This allows you to make payments within your means.
Please contact UPMC if you require assistance completing the Medical Assistance or Financial Assistance form. Our financial counselors are available to assist you with this process.
You may be eligible for some type of insurance benefits (such as worker’s compensation, automobile insurance, and Medical Assistance). You must explore these options before you can receive financial assistance from UPMC. We can help direct you to the appropriate resources.
Applicants for financial assistance are treated with dignity and respect. We respect your privacy, and all of your information will remain confidential. See UPMC’s Notice of Privacy Practices.
How Do I Apply?
You will need to complete an easy Financial Assistance Application form (formulario de Solicitud de Asistencia Financiera) and attach documents that prove your income. Each patient requesting financial assistance should complete and submit a separate application. You must return the completed application and necessary documents to:
UPMC Financial Assistance
Quantum Building, Third floor
2 Hot Metal St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
When should I apply?
- You should apply for financial assistance as early as possible during your medical care.
- However, you may apply at any time before, during, or after your treatment, up to the resolution of your UPMC account.
- You may reapply if your financial situation changes.
How do I check the status of an application?
Call 1-800-371-8359 to check on the status of your application. Please allow two to three weeks for processing and mailing time.
How do I know if I'm approved?
You will receive written confirmation in the mail.
Where can I learn more?
You can get more information about UPMC’s Financial Assistance Program in several ways:
- At the hospital or physician's office: Request a Financial Assistance Application form at the front desk in the hospital’s registration area or at your doctor’s office.
- By phone: Talk with a financial counselor or request a Financial Assistance Application form by calling UPMC Financial Assistance Program toll-free at
- By appointment: If you need assistance with completing the application form and would like to schedule an appointment, please call our office.
- You can download the Financial Assistance
Application form (formulario de Solicitud de Asistencia Financiera).