Breast Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
Physician-researchers at the Magee-Womens Breast Cancer Program and the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute (UPCI) are pioneering efforts to develop novel strategies for diagnosing, treating, and preventing breast cancer, helping to establish more personalized treatments, and improve early detection methods for these cancers.
Current research focus for the Breast Cancer Program includes:
- Sentinel node mapping in the management of breast cancers
- Role of bisphosphonates in the treatment of breast cancers
- Role of poly ADP ribose polymerase (PARP) inhibitors in the treatment of breast cancers
Radiation Therapy Research
Research publications on using radiation therapy to treat breast cancer include:
- Beriwal S, Coon D, Kim H, Haley M, Patel R, Das R. Multicatheter Hybrid Breast Brachytherapy: A Potential Alternative for Patients with Inadequate Skin Distance. Brachytherapy. 7(4):301-304, 2008, PMID: 18771962.
- Haley M, Beriwal S, Heron DE, Kim H, Falk J, Johnson R, Mogus R. MammoSite© Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation: A Single-institution Outcomes Analysis with 2 Years of Followup. Brachytherapy. 2008 8(1):9-13, 2009, PMID: 18955020.
- Unal B, Gur AS, Beriwal S, Tang G, Johnson R, Ahrendt G, Bonaventura M, Soran A. Predicting Likelihood of Having Four or More Positive Nodes in Patient with Sentinel Lymph Node-positive Breast Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 75(4):1035-40 2009, PMID: 19327916.
- Bhatnagar AK, Beriwal S, Heron DE, Flickinger JC, Deutsch M, Huq MS, Sontag M, Shogan J. Initial Outcomes Analysis for Large Multicenter Integrated Cancer Network Implementation of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer. Breast. J 15(5):468-474, 2009, PMID: 19624420.
- Beriwal S, Rungruang B, Soran A, Thull D, Kelley JL, Bhargava R, Lin CJ, Sukumvanich P. Comparison of Locoregional Recurrences with Mastectomy vs. Breast Conserving Surgery in Pregnancy Associated Breast Cancer (PABC). Cancers. 1(1)12-20, 2009.
Books and book chapters
- Wazer DE, Arthur DW, Vicini FA (eds.) Beriwal S. Overview of North American Trials. Chapter in Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation: Techniques and Clinical Implementation, 2006.
- Alavi A (ed.) Beriwal S. PET/CT in Radiation Therapy Planning for Breast Cancer pp 359-357. Chapter in PET Clinics, 4(4) 2009.
Women can participate in the latest clinical trials for breast cancer prevention and treatment through the Magee-Womens Research Institute.