International Transplant Services
Patients come to UPMC from more than 2,000 towns and cities in America and 30 foreign countries.
UPMC Global Care offers a wide range of auxiliary services to ensure that patients and their families receive the highest standard of coordinated care. This care is responsive to each patient's clinical, cultural, and spiritual needs. Services provided begin in coordination with the patient's doctors at home, before arrival in the United States, and continue long after treatment.
In addition, UPMC transplantation services also are available through ISMETT, a specialized medical center located in Palermo, Italy.
- Arrangements for an interpreter to greet patients and their families at the airport and accompany them to their prearranged housing location
- Assistance with air and ground travel
- Arrangements for accommodations, depending on each patient’s needs — Family House provides convenient, affordable housing for patients and their families traveling to Pittsburgh for treatment of serious illnesses.
- Assistance in planning tours, day trips, and shopping trips as requested
- Reading materials, such as periodicals and books, and videos in each patient’s language
- Arrangements for air ambulance services
- Arrangements for special foods and nutritional needs
- Follow-up care, including rehabilitation, pharmacy services, medical services, and special therapy
- Preventive medicine for family members while in Pittsburgh, including checkups, clinic visits, and prescriptions
Administrative and Financial Services
- Assistance with admissions processes
- Communications and computer help, including internet access, long-distance calling, faxing, and copying
- Assistance with local bank accounts, wire transfers, check cashing, and other transactions
- Coordination of bills and payments for medical care
- Coordination of discharge planning with medical staff
- Assistance with religious needs
- Arrangements for cultural and religious dietary needs
- Liaison to appropriate ethnic communities in the Pittsburgh area
Contacting the Starzl Institute
To contact the Starzl Institute from locations outside the United States and Canada:
||01-412-647-5800 or |
1-877-640-6746, toll free
||Thomas E. Starzl |
UPMC Montefiore, 7 South
3459 Fifth Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Attention: Transplant Referral