Heart Transplant Team
As members of a pioneering heart transplantation program, UPMC's transplant cardiologists and surgeons are dedicated to delivering the best in comprehensive treatment. Our multidisciplinary team is known for its ability to consider each person's case in the context of its own challenges and opportunities.
Together, we strive to provide expert heart care that results in improved outcomes, no matter how complex the case.
Not every cardiologist is a transplant cardiologist.
- Manage your medical treatment and provide support throughout the entire heart transplant process.
- Participate in selecting any necessary heart-assist devices.
- Stabilize you before heart transplant surgery.
If you're already under a cardiologist's care, he or she can work with your transplant cardiologist to ensure an optimal approach to treatment.
Our transplant surgeons:
- Evaluate you to determine whether you're eligible for heart-assist devices and heart transplantation.
- Perform the donor and transplant operations and manage any surgical decisions.
- Work closely with transplant cardiologists to ensure seamless, comprehensive care.
Other Members of the Heart Transplant Team
In addition to transplant cardiologists and transplant surgeons, other health care professionals on your heart transplant team include:
- Transplant coordinators
- Specialized nurses
- Social workers