Living-Donor Liver Transplant Process
When you come to UPMC as a potential liver donor, our team of transplant experts will evaluate you to ensure that organ donation poses the least possible risk to you and the transplant recipient.
Steps of Living-Liver Donation
The steps of living-liver donation include:
- Pre-liver-donation evaluation
- Surgery to remove part of your liver
- Post-liver-donation care
Throughout the process, you will interact with our comprehensive living-donor liver transplant team of:
- Transplant social workers
- Dedicated liver transplant nurse coordinators
- Transplant hepatologists
- Liver transplant surgeons
This team will determine if you're suitable for living donation. One member of that team is an independent living-donor advocate who is assigned to you and will act on your behalf.
Your living-donor advocate will:
- Make sure you are fully aware of what it means to be a living-liver donor.
- Explain and help you understand the risks of living-donor liver transplant surgery.
- Voice any of your concerns to the liver transplant team.
- Determine if your decision to donate is fully informed.