About the Department of Family Medicine
At the UPMC Department of Family Medicine, we are committed to providing excellent primary care to people of all ages.
In addition to caring for patients in our offices and hospitals, we help them navigate the complex health care system. We work with our patients to coordinate the care they receive from different members of the UPMC care team in different locations across the system.
What is Family Medicine?
The American Academy of Family Physicians defines family medicine as the medical specialty that:
- Provides continuing, comprehensive health care for the individual in the context of the family.
- Integrates the biological, clinical, and behavioral sciences.
- Encompasses all ages, both sexes, each organ system, and every disease entity.
Mission of the UPMC Family Medicine Department
Our mission is three-fold:
- Provide high quality patient care.
- Support research initiatives.
- Equip future physicians with the competencies required for family-oriented patient care and to nurture their leadership characteristics.
To accomplish this mission, the Department:
Family Medicine Residencies and Fellowships
Three family medicine residencies — at UPMC McKeesport, UPMC Shadyside, and UPMC St. Margaret — provide invaluable community-based experience with the support of the University of Pittsubrgh, a major academic research institution.
Eighty-four residents and twelve fellows practice within these settings. They receive support from thirteen University of Pittsburgh faculty and thirty-six UPMC faculty.