Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Helping You Prepare for Lifelong Weight Loss Success
UPMC's six-month bariatric presurgical lifestyle program helps you build lifestyle skills you can use before and after bariatric surgery.
- Begin and maintain a workout routine to reach and keep your weight loss goals.
- Lower your daily calories to a range between 1200-1500 calories (or in a range discussed with your doctor).
- Avoid consuming caffeinated beverages approximately one month prior to surgery.
What You'll Get From the Bariatric Surgery Presurgical Lifestyle Program
- Six, monthly bariatric presurgical lifestyle classes to fulfill insurance requirements (class structure and fees vary among each UPMC hospital's bariatric surgery program)
- Personalized lifestyle preparation for weight loss surgery and long-term maintenance
- Solutions to problematic eating behaviors and nutritional issues
- Help identifying and managing eating sabotages
- A realistic exercise program for life
- Private bariatric nutrition consultations
- Monthly support groups
- Support from the program's multidisciplinary team of:
- Bariatric surgeons
- Clinical nursing staff
- Exercise specialists
Preoperative Appointment: Preparing for Gastric Bypass or Lap Band Surgery
Soon after engaging in your bariatric presurgical lifestyle program, you will meet with your bariatric surgeon to:
What if I can't attend monthly lifestyle classes?
As part of preparing for bariatric surgery, insurance companies require patients to participate in a comprehensive, six-month bariatric presurgical lifestyle program.
If you can't attend our program, you can make special arrangements with your primary care physician (PCP) to fulfill the insurance requirements. We will provide materials to help your PCP guide you and document your progress through the six-month program.
Contact us about for help preparing for bariatric surgery and assistance making these special arrangements.