Bariatric Presurgical Lifestyle Program
Helping You Prepare for Lifelong Weight Loss Success
UPMC's six-month bariatric presurgical lifestyle program helps you build lifestyle skills you can use before and after bariatric surgery.
What You'll Get From the Program
- Six, monthly bariatric presurgical lifestyle classes to fulfill insurance requirements (class structure and fees vary among each UPMC hospital's bariatric surgery program)
- Personalized lifestyle preparation for weight loss surgery and long-term maintenance
- Solutions to problematic eating behaviors and nutritional issues
- Help identifying and managing eating sabotages
- A realistic exercise program for life
- Private bariatric nutrition consultations
- Monthly support groups
- Support from the program's multidisciplinary team of:
- Bariatric surgeons
- Clinical nursing staff
- Exercise specialists
Soon after engaging in your bariatric presurgical lifestyle program, you will meet with your bariatric surgeon to:
What if I can't attend monthly lifestyle classes?
Insurance companies require bariatric surgery patients to participate in a comprehensive, six-month bariatric presurgical lifestyle program.
If you can't attend our program, you can make special arrangements with your primary care physician (PCP) to fulfill the insurance requirements. We will provide materials to help your PCP guide you and document your progress through the six-month program.
Contact us about making these special arrangements.